Chapter seven solidifies what I've learned as I've come back to school and that is, that teaching is hard work. There are a million reasons why it is hard. However, with the tools that I've also learned, I feel I will someday be an effective teacher. And from the book, James Strong defines this effectiveness as one creating a positive effect on student achievement as well as other important outcomes that have positive and lasting effects on the lives of students.
Going back to school has also reminded me that learning is also hard work. Just like the book says, People learn better when they feel valued and supported. I know that in order to value and support my learners, I must learn all I can about them. I must create ties with each one of them.
I know as I care for each student it is also important to keep expectations high even if it means that the student must struggle a little. I watched this happen many time in my preschool when a child would find something difficult and want me to do it for them. I would encourage them by reminding them of the Little Blue Engine that we had talked about at the first of the year. Sometimes they would even chant, "I think I can, I think I can" while completing the task and then when they finally accomplished the task, they were so excited. They would say, "I did it, I did it!" I can hardly wait to return to the classroom to experience the joy of each child accomplishing difficult things.
I totally agree with the metaphor about McNulty's mom's gravy. It was so good because she did love it. She loved it so much that she lost herself to it. I feel that is the only way that my teaching will be good as well. I know that it will not always be easy, just as she probably found out at the first that making gravy was not an easy task but with practice, it gets better and better.
I am so excited to get started. I can hardly wait to be an effective teacher and be able to love and care about my students and at the same time teach them the curriculum. Hard??? For sure, but not impossible!!!
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ancient Greek Top Five
Learning the countries cartoon
Watch this video and be prepared to label 10 countries on a map.
1 comment:
You're well on your way! Great response! 4 points
Post a Comment