Sunday, October 4, 2009

Differentiation Week 5

Dear Jeremy,

As Jamie shared with our class the experience you are having as a new teacher, my heart went out to you and your students. I'm sure teaching in this area is very frustrating for you. However, I'm sure school is very frustrating for these students. The way that I see it, you get to make a choice. Do basic teaching and nothing changes for these students or connect with these students and change their lives.

What I picture is students that have very low self images. I feel that would be a good place for you to start. It starts with you respecting them. It starts with you letting them know how unique and valuable each one of them are. They must feel like you care and that they are needed there. They must know that each one of them have a contribution to make to the classroom.

The students must also feel like the lessons you are teaching are important to them and their future. Somehow your lessons must engage them. From the sounds of things, your supplies are limited so you will have to be creative on this. You will need to convey the message that you work hard for them and that you enjoy finding ways for them to succeed. You will let them know that if they are not getting it, you will figure out some other way for them to learn. I feel like it would be beneficial for you to get feedback from the students. Let them know that you are there to be their partner. Ask them how it's working and what they would like to see changed.

In order for these things to come about you must create a welcoming classroom environment. This not only includes setting up classroom rules but also recognizing each individual. Study the students cultures and celebrate their successes. There has to be open communication between you and the students. They must know that you have high expectations of them. Let them set goals and monitor their progress. Make sure that the students share the responsibility in the classroom. They will be more responsible if they feel that the classroom belongs to you and them instead of just you.

I know these ideas sound great and are much easier to write on paper that to do. I believe that some of the small things will make huge improvements. I feel that even the small things that you do will have a rippling effect. You cannot differentiate every lesson to every child but you can try some different things. Obviously something must change or these students will just continue to come to class and hope that the bell rings soon!

Best Wishes,

Lora Cunico

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

Sincere and reflective.... nice job. I know it makes us feel powerless, trying to help someone whose shoes we haven't warn. Thanks for making meaningful work of this! 4 points

Ancient Greek Top Five

Learning the countries cartoon

Watch this video and be prepared to label 10 countries on a map.